Friday, December 9, 2011

"Little Carbs"

I went to my first playdate "support group" today.  Another mom has started a non-profit called Carb DM and they were kind enough to have a playdate about 45 minutes away.  I have been feeling so angry, so unable to talk to others and in such a general bad mood that I thought it would be helpful to go.  I don't like feeling like this but I can't seem to shake it.

The first mom I met welcomed me so warmly but it is always nerve-wracking walking into a new social situation.  The second mom walked in with a 4 1/2 year old and a newborn and just asked me how I was.  A simple enough question right?  I said ok but I started to cry.  I feel like I can't answer truthfully when asked by regular people.  I'm sure people care but in my head, I know that most can't understand.  This mom, whom I have never met, walked over to me and gave me the warmest hug.  Who does that?  I needed it though, very badly.  I spent the next two hours with three women who started as strangers but by the end, I think I can call them friends.  They got me.  They took time to help me understand and answer all my questions.  I admit I left with some new fears.  Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

I'm on day 17 and I think I have conquered giving the insulin shots.  I need help calculating carbs and sometimes I don't get enough blood on the first try to check the blood glucose.  But I've come far.  I've only had 1 day without tears but maybe those days will increase.  Not today though.

No comments:

Post a Comment