Saturday, December 3, 2011

A little about us..

It has been 11 days since my youngest son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, also known as Juvenile Diabetes.  It didn't take very long to realize that although many other families have walked this path, there isn't a lot of support/knowledge and I have felt really lost.  I'm writing this blog to share every step of our journey, in the hopes of maybe helping another family.   Feeling alone with a disease is just another hurdle to conquer.

Levi is our youngest and only 2 years, 4 months.  We also have a 4 and 5 year old so needless to say, we have always been busy.  We are your typical Suburban family.  My husband works long hours at a start up in Silicon Valley and I am lucky enough to be a stay at home mom.  I don't know how working parents are able to handle this disease as I can barely handle it and I don't have to worry about a job.

I've always felt so lucky with my kids.  Even though I'm busy, I never had to deal with "real worries".  I didn't have a special needs child, my kids were basically well behaved and truth be told, we were skating through life.  How quickly that can change.  My biggest worry went from "what will I make my kinder for lunch?" to "will my child die in his bed?"  Big change for us.

We are on day 11 of this journey.  I have a LOT to learn, a lot of fears and I hope that my mistakes and my experience with this might help someone else.  If nothing else, you know that you aren't alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment