Wednesday, January 25, 2012

OUCH! OUCH OUCH!!!!

Diabetes decided that it wasn't taking up enough of our time.  It wanted us to spend 2 1/2 hours on Monday with the doctor and another 3 hours today.  Kudos to Levi who is learning to play with his trains on the floor and totally disregard the adults. 

All I can say is ouch.  Today was the day we learned about the insulin pump.  The pump would be attached to Levi and "feed" him his insulin directly into the fat beneath his skin.  He would wear the pump on a belt and then there would be a tube into his bum.  Stanford won't allow you to move forward with the pump until you wear it yourself.  Dave went first.  It wasn't pretty.  I have to admit that I was rolling with laughter after Dave nearly assaulted the lady when she inserted the needle.  But then it was my turn.  I was thinking to myself, "how hard can this be?  I've given birth".  DAMN.  It's 2 hours later and I think I still feel it.  First of all, it's not a shot.  I think they tried to insert a damn knitting needle into my stomach.  I yelled ouch.  Then they told me that once it was in, I wouldn't feel it anymore.  I felt it.  I felt it for every second until the removed it.  Ummm, I don't see this working out for us.  Call me a wimp.  I'm actually bruised where it went in and I have a small bloody red spot from it.  So please, explain to me again how I'm going to do this to Levi every 3 days?  Ummm, again, I don't see that happening. 

Thanks for the class Stanford.  I think I'll continue with the daily regimen of 4 shots.  Otherwise, I think I would need to take a valium every 3 days.  Nope, not gonna happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment